Old 21-12-2007, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Auto Tech Auto Tech is offline

Default Global warming my ass!

On Dec 20, 10:11*am, "Ryan P."
wrote:
dgk wrote:

Before we get into a big debate (which has been done many times by
folks far more knowledgeable on these issues than us) I need to know
where we are starting from.

.
.
* Debates are fun, as long as we keep them civil. * *Unfortunately,
many people result to name-calling and slander rather than attempting to
actually debate!
.
.

Do you believe in evolution? Lots of folks don't, so global warming
can't be a problem because the world is just the way God wanted it and
isn't old enough to have climate shifts. I see a leading Republican
contender doesn't believe in evolution. That should scare the shit out
of you. "If you want to believe that you and your family came from
apes, that's fine. I'll accept that," he said Friday. "I just don't
happen to think that I did."

.
.
* I am a Christian, so I do believe that God creates everything...
However, I am more in the camp of "guided evolution." *Who are we to say
that God snapped his fingers and POOF here we were? *I have read many
Christian and Jewish leaders who believe in evolution. *Why couldn't
God's plan be for species to adapt to the environment so they can
thrive? *And since, as a Christian, I believe in Free Will, if we choose
to screw things up, that's our own problem.

* The evidence is far too plentiful. *Of course evolution happens. *To
flatly deny it is silly. *The mechanics are a matter of faith though...
If one truely believes God is all-powerful, then there's no reason to
use science to understand the process.

God is indeed all powerfull and is in control and like you I am
Christian and have to say we are not going to be able to correct this
no matter what we may try Gods is oin control and we are aloing for
the ride.God does indeed give us free will and lets us as you oput it
screw up. I and my family believe in Gods devine creation and do not
believe in anyway that my ancestors were apes.
.
.

Assuming we agree that evolution happens, are you denying that the
earth is getting warmer? Apparently some reputable scientists believe
we don't have enough information and that the evidence that we do have
is being interpreted incorrectly.

It is possible you are right I cannot debate you on this point and am
in agreement

.
.
* The earth gets warmer, and it gets cooler. *Its a cyclical process.
Since 1930, the average global temperature is about .7 degrees (Celcius)
warmer than it was. *A few hundred years earlier, colonies in Greenland
were being frozen out of existence.
.
.

If we agree that the earth is getting warmer, is man at least partly
responsible? Some scientists seem to thing that humanity is too
inconsequential to be causing climate shifts. I look at all the stuff
we're dumping into the air, sea, and ground, and think that not only
are we altering the weather, we're causing lots of other damage -
species extinction, new types of organisms, and such.

Many scientists who disagree that man is responsible for all of global
warming agree that we're having some impact.

.
.
* Of course man is partially responsible. *To think otherwise is stupid.
* * * On the other hand, the Sahara desert has been expanding for
thousands of years. *You can't tell me the ancient Egyptians were
pumping more pollutants into the air than natural forest fires around
the globe.
.
. Do you believe that the global warming debate is a conspiracy to
funnel research funds into the pockets of evil scientists? If so, you
might also consider that well funded corporate interests might be
paying the bill for some of the scientists that oppose the global
warming idea.

.
.
* A conspiracy? *No. *A histerical reaction? *Yes. *Some corporate
greed? *Yes. *How much money that goes towards "carbon credits" is going
to line Al Gore's investment portfolio? *If human-generated carbon is so
horrible, shouldn't the spokesperson for global warming be reducing his
consumption at the same time as investing in "green" technology?

Al Gore, Now there is a man who scares the hell out of me. he is a
dangerous man putting out climate related movies and years ago headed
a move to crush all antique and classic cars on the platform of air
polution. he is more influential than Ralph Nader and that is bad. I
do believe in conspiracies we see it all the time just look at the
pack of records the administration recently lost ""how conveniant"" If
Al Gore ever gets into office it will be far worse than if Hillary
gets in because we all will have to come up with nearly a 100,000
dollars to buy new technology cars and lawn equipment and anything
with an engine on it because he will make federal mandates to grab all
of our current cars and equipment under federal emmission laws. He
was in Califoprnia when he got a law passed which cost one car
collector his collection of antique corvairs all but one met the
crusher before a federal judge stopped him and threw the new law out.
he is a dangerous man and is only for the very rich and elite. his
own mansion was a heavy polluter untill only a short time ago when he
came under critisism and paid mega bucks to make it as they put it
green friendly. he is a dangerous man.
.
.

Finally, do you think that global warming, if it is even occuring,
might be a good thing? I sort of lean that way a bit. I think that
it's too cold where I live (NYC). I love it here, but surfing is
limited by the fact that the ocean is now 43F. That doesn't stop the
really dedicated surfers I might point out. My main beach
(http://www.surfline.com/reports/report.cfm?id=4270) often has people
surfing in the winter. That's why God invented wet suits after all.

.
.
* Actually, there are climatologists that say humans as a whole would
benefit from warmer climates because more people die of cold-related
problems than heat-related problems!

* Unfortunately, the last two years, the global temperature has been a
bit cooler. *In fact, the Antarctic ice caps have been steadily
expanding for MANY years in most areas, and polar bear populations have
exploded.

* I say you should invest in companies that make ski equipment! *lol
.
.

I admit to enjoying asking right-wingers if they think the opposition
is a conspiracy. I'm a firm believer in conspiracies myself.

.
.
* Some conspiracies are fun to believe in! AND are a fact as well.