Old 22-12-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_4_] SteveB[_4_] is offline

Default A Little Help

"Mea505" wrote in message
OK, help me out he I am not 'used to using the alt.binaries'
groups; I just attempted to get online with one of them, and this
specific server wants money. Is this normal, or was I about to be one
of the many whom are thwarted from the free sources?

Mark

I have two ISPs, as I have houses in two different states. At one, I get
binary newsgroups with my newsgroups on a cable modem feed. At the other, I
do not get any binaries and am on a dish feed to a land tower. Sorry, I
forgot. At my cabin, I also have newsgroups, but they are very few, are on
a dish to satellite route, and I haven't even really been there enough this
year to even set it up.

I thought they just came with the monthly fee. Not so. I was informed by
more knowledgeable people where I could get binary newsgroups from specific
providers on the net, but it would be at a fee. On my land to land dish, I
have a monthly bandwidth limit, and when I get close, my service starts to
slow down. That's how it was explained to me. I haven't ever approached
the limit, so one would have to find out what constitutes sending and
receiving enough material to affect bandwidth limits.

I guess the short answers are that there are sites that will provide you
with binary groups. For a fee. And then you will have to monitor your use
so you don't rack up additional charges or slowed service from your ISP.

HTH.

Steve