Old 22-12-2007, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
SteveB[_4_] SteveB[_4_] is offline

Default Barking dog next door

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Stubby" wrote in message

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I have a neighbor that has a barkng dog. It will stand at the fence

and
bark all day if I am out in the yard or garden. I thought about

calling
the cops BUT the owner is a State Trooper. SO now what.

Try a squirt bottle full of hot sauce. I have used plastic lemons

with
"Dave's Insanity" sauce.

Or, how about turning on the garden hose?

I had a neighbor whose dog barked at me everytime I came home. I

finally just
left the hose on with the nozzle hooked on the fence. Pick it up,

blast the
barking dog. It only took him about 6 weeks to quit barking at me.

Still barked
at anyone else in my yard.

Thanks. I guess you can beat just dealing with it directly.

I heard that one reason dogs keep barking is that they think they are
being rewarded for doing it -- the barkee comes out, the barker barks,
the barkee leaves - hence the barker thinks his barking has scared the
barkee away.

Another suggestion I heard was for the barkee to become the barker -
like you are saying. Go straight over and stay there until the barker
backs off -- just like he does.

Sam

My mother-in-law buys me things at Big Lots that she thinks I need. One was
this little blue box about half the size of a pack of cigs. It has a 9v.
battery and a button. When you press the button, you don't hear anything,
but the dog does. I use it when my dogs are being hard headed, and when I
work and there's a dog that just won't STFU. It works on about half the
dogs. Trick is distance. Not expensive, and maybe what you need. Point it
through a slat or knothole, or hold it over the fence. When a dog gets
something back that's unpleasant for barking, they will usually back off
with continual training. That's how bark collars work. If not, there are a
lot of anti-barking devices that you can mount on YOUR property that will
give him a pretty good blast that no one else hears. They are spendier, but
work when you're not there. And you can disguise them or just say it's a
mosquito and moth repeller.

Good luck.

Steve