Old 22-12-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Eucalyptus ficifolia

"Chris Hogg" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" asked
Pink Flowering Gum Tree (Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Having just seen this on another Newsgroup does anyone know if this tree
will grow in the UK, and will it flower?

It's the hardiest of the really colourful eucalypts, but that's not
saying much. Grows well on Tresco where it is spectacular, and in a
few sheltered gardens in west Cornwall. It will take a very light
frost, but in general terms it's not hardy. If it was that easy,
they'd be everywhere!

I have been toying with the idea of trying one for a year or two now
(lowest air temperature so far this Winter with us has been 0 deg. C
with a light ground frost; even my Gerberas outside are still in
flower!), and I see that Chiltern have them in their latest seed
catalogue.....

A few seeds don't cost a lot so worth a try, even if it has to be kept in a
pot and brought in during frost like the Citrus trees.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden