Old 24-12-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:46:35 CST, falcon
wrote:

Ditto that problem here, JB. A GBH took a nice roughly 16" Kohaku from
us yesterday, and although I caught him in the act as he was about to
swallow it, he was able to quickly fly off with the Koi still hanging
halfway out of its beak. I saw him finish it off in the tops of a
large pine tree two lots over.

I was also hoping the size of our other Koi would be a deterrent, but
from reading this and other forums, unfortunately that seems overly
optimistic. Even if they can't eat them given a larger size, it seems
much damage, some fatally so, is already done with the spearing.

Our pond design doesn't lend itself to netting or wires, and although
we feed only bottom food, have never hand fed so the Koi aren't
accustomed to coming up very close to us on the pond edges, and have 5
foot depths in many places with reefs and ledges under which they can
hide, unfortunately they do enjoy surface swimming and quite frankly,
I'm just hoping at least some of them are able to learn to stay deep...

Do you have any of pictures of your pond on-line by chance? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us