Old 25-12-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Is My Dogwood Doomed?

wrote in message
On Dec 24, 4:58 pm, "symplastless" wrote:

Thanks for the reply, and all the info!

Thank you. I have some answers that need questions.

I also made
a mistake in not turning the tree's most prominent branches towards
the sunniest side.

They will probally find their way soon.

However, I did place a 3-4 inch layer of pine
needles and woods chips at the base of the tree, extending out about
3-4 feet. (No mulch is within 4-5 inches from the base of the tree.)

The distance from the trunk is better than most do it in my area. However,
I hope you are not using fresh (symplast maintaining) chips. If there was
living cells (parenchyma) in the material chipped, then I would wait one
year before spreading.

I'm unable to post pictures. But the wound goes right down to the
bare trunk. The bark just peeled away.

To prevent further damage (I know now should have done this to begin
with) I painted the S-SW side of the trunk with white interior latex
paint.

Painting trees with latex paint stems from a time when women were in charge
of everything inside the house. The man was in charge of every thing
outside the house. They had two rules. 1. If it moved it got greased. The
gate, the barn door etc. 2. If it did not move it got painted white. That
meant the rocks, the fence, the trees. May sound funny but that's how
painting trees white started. Not going to help your tree though. Wish it
would.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.