Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
lambertia

Default Killing Black birds (and birds of prey)

"susannah" wrote in message ...
Where are you? urban sprawl, or other??

You might be surprised to find you have Antechinus living nearby. I am in
deepest Suburbia in Sydney, just near Parramatta, and we get Antechinus in
our yard quite often.

They turn their victims inside out and leave the skin. Quite a clever way
to eat something really

Not forgetting Bush Rats (Rattus fuscipes), they'll have a gnaw on anything
moving or still! lol

"S.. McLaren" wrote in message
"susannah" wrote in message news:h2WL9.375

birds would be harmed, I beg to differ. IF the blackbirds die somewhere
other than your property, perhaps a bird of prey or

carnivourous/omnivorous
creature might ingest said dead blackbird.... If enough poisoned animals

are
ingested then the level of poison builds and can kill the consumer.

Apart from my brother-in-law and a family of foxes, I don't know of any
other meat eating animals in my area!

There are many Native carnivorous/omnivorous species that still co
exist with us in suburbia,Not to mention the irresponsible domestic
pet owner who might not take too kindly to their "Innocent" little
puss being poisoined. There are also several of the Night Raptors in
the suburbs which you would not normally see or hear such as the owl,
frogmouth. The thing with the "local" wildlife is that to survive they
have had to become less obvious, whilst i HATE( not to harsh a
word)introduced species with a passion, i feel that we should try
other alternatives to remove them, than ones that may be destructive
to "Local" species. Planting LOCAL native plants can help encourage
the native wildlife to move back in, and a ball bearing sling shot is
always helpful in detering the "unwanted guests". There is a good site
to help with bringing back the local fauna you may like to check it
out there is alot of interesting info, as well as some not so "good"
but it gives a starting point.