Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
John Savage

Default Green House

"Farea Saref" writes:
I have not experience enough for garden arts.
I read the word " Green house".
Please one tell me:
What's this ?, Used for what? and what's benefit for us?
and why?

My grandmother had a greenhouse in Brisbane. It gave partial shade to
her ferns and staghorns, and allowed shade-loving plants to be grown
there even though Brisbane is a hot sunny place in the Summer. Her
greenhouse was built entirely of timber slats and nothing else: walls and
roof were painted slats, and it had no floor (or to put it another way,
it had an earthen floor). The slats had a gap of a few inches between
them, thus allowing in sun and rain. There was a frangipani tree outside
near the western corner, giving extra shading there during late afternoon,
and a hornets nest in another corner that kept us kids from playing in
there among the plants. :-)

Nowadays, as others have said, modern greenhouses generally have nylon
shadecloth over the roof and walls to reduce the intensity of the sunlight.
I guess shadecloth also gives a bit of protection against buffeting by the
wind, and during winter would afford some protection against light frosts.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")