Old 25-12-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chatnoir chatnoir is offline

Default Ammonia high in pond

On Dec 25, 12:50*pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:00:44 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!
Inside or outside pond?

Outside!

Have you tried Amquel or similar product?

Yes

If so, are you using a test kit that will test correctly when using said product?

Actually no!!

Then you don't really know if you're using enough. ;-)

True!

What's the temp of the pond,

Iced over except fpr the one spot I deep open!

If it is that cold, my guess would be you've got something decomposing.
When did you stop feeding?

Well, essentially the end of Oct! Was a very warm fall! The wild
fish stopped eating before that! Rounded up all but one of the frogs
to bring in during winter! Thought the cats go it! But it could have
died in the pond! Gave the pond a good check but it could have dug
down into one of the big plants!

KH I don't test for!
ph = 7.5

My suggestion would be to get a salicylate test kit for the ammonia and a
KH test kit that will show if your pH is stable. Let the water warm to room
temp before testing.

Small water changes will always help. *~ jan

Do that throughout the winter

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us