Old 21-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Epidendrum after-flowering care

I have a ballerina epidendrum hybrid. Yellow flowers.

It is now about 80cm/2.5ft high, with leaves about 40cms/1.2ft off the
ground on three stems. There are five older reeds which are about
15cm/0.5ft long which were cut where the naked flower reed started off
above the leaves, as well as the 3-4 first-year 2-3cm/1in stubs. I
don't know how this hybrid will behave next year. Will it want to grow
bigger? I don't want to know how the parents look, since the
ballerina hybrids are described as "compact growers" compared to their
parents.

I need to repot the thing when it has finished flowering, if only to
stabilize it in a larger pot. The current pot is a 13cm/5in clay
affair, the plant now has a diameter of 30cm/1ft.

Some people say to cut back all the stems to about 10cm. Do I really
want to remove 2/3 of the foilage from this year's stems? Do I cut
away the "back stems"?

I don't need to split it to get more plants - I already have three
smaller plants from keikis which are growing like crazy.

Geir