Old 26-12-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.music.classical.guitar, sci.bio.botany
Richard Jernigan Richard Jernigan is offline

Default Creating brazilian rosewood out of other materials?

On Dec 27, 1:49*am, "sycochkn" wrote:
"Che" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 6:28 pm, "sycochkn" wrote:

"Tommy Grand" wrote in message

Brazilian rosewood is a prized material used in crafting fine
classical guitars. However, sources of the wood have all but dried up
and luthiers are growing desperate. I've heard stories of guitars
made out of chopped down castle doors and stolen church pews, to name
a few.

Now plainly, the only materials needed to create rosewood are a seeds,
soil, sunlight, water and time. You have to wait something like a
thousand years for the tree to grow, which is the whole problem. With
modern chemical know-how, can't we find a way to speed up whatever
reaction is involved and create some new wood in say, five years? If
not, tell us whether the barrier is lack of scientific knowledge or
lack of money.

There are other suitable woods. Some tropical hardwoods are farmed.

*Bob, don't believe everything you think.

Che'

Is the problem all of those Brazilian Rosewood guitars I see at Guitar
Center or slash and burn cocain agriculture.

Bob

Neither guitars nor cocaine. The Dalbergia Negra grows in the Atlantic
Forest. Most of the coke production is deeper into the Amazon. Guitars
were a negligible use while the wood was really being exploited for
furniture, wall paneling, etc. In the '60s through the '80s you could
walk into any Scandinavian furniture store on the planet and see acres
of beautiful straight grain Brazilian rosewood veneer.

RNJ