Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Casey Herman

Default sandy soil

G'day Tazman,

Thanks for your advice! I'll stick in a compost bin, and gonna stick in a
couple of rainwater tanks as well (ever the optimist?!) By the way, I used
to see dust storms quite regularly during "The Wet" (why do they call it
that as far south as Alice?) when I was a charter pilot in the Outback, and
there's an awful lot of mulch needed out there, as well as a decrease in
salinity, a decrease in the number of cattle per acre/sq. km..... etc. And
Tassie DOES have beautiful soil, the plant kingdom couldn't be so rich
otherwise!

Regards,

--
Casey Herman
BIZARRTE® digital imagery and TWISTED IRONY® metal sculpture & furniture

"Tazman" wrote in message

"Casey Herman" wrote in message
Hi!

I'm new to this group and gardening in general. We've just landscaped

our
new house, and replaced the clay that was originally there with a sandy

type
of top soil containing chook poo. My problem is that this soil is so dry
that the stuff blows everywhere on windy days. What's the best way to

give
the soil some "bulk" so that it will stay put? I've still got some of

the
original clay that we've removed.

Regards,

Casey Herman
Melbourne

Hi Casey,

Well just having built a house in the sandy dust bowl called Western
Australia, we had the same problem.

Coming from a place like Tassie with the richest, darkest soil around, to

big beach was a big shock.. never seen things like a sand storm in and out
of your house..

What we have just done is talked to our local tree lopper and bought a

truck
load (5 ton) of tree mulch from him... Put down some dynamic lifter on the
sand first then spread the mulch over the gardens and sandy areas at about
6 - 10 inches thick.

Gave it a good water in and now all we get is some leaves blowing
around....Also get an added bonus of the smell of wet bark and leaves when
it rains or we put the sprinklers on... Kind of reminds me of good old
Tassie, hmmmmmm.

Since you have boosted the sandy soil with chook poo you wont need the
dynamic lifter ...

All I need to do now is figure out how to mulch the rest of WA and we

would
have no more Sand problems in and out of the house