Old 26-12-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.music.classical.guitar, sci.bio.botany
[email protected] dulceguitarra@peacemail.com is offline

Default Creating brazilian rosewood out of other materials?

On Dec 26, 12:31*am, Tashi wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:22*pm, Tommy Grand wrote:

Brazilian rosewood is a prized material used in crafting fine
classical guitars. *However, sources of the wood have all but dried up
and luthiers are growing desperate. *I've heard stories of guitars
made out of chopped down castle doors and stolen church pews, to name
a few.

Now plainly, the only materials needed to create rosewood are a seeds,
soil, sunlight, water and time. *You have to wait something like a
thousand years for the tree to grow, which is the whole problem. *With
modern chemical know-how, can't we find a way to speed up whatever
reaction is involved and create some new wood in say, five years? *If
not, tell us whether the barrier is lack of scientific knowledge or
lack of money.

Brazilian rosewood is highly over rated. *I'm more concered about the
fate of East Indian rosewood.

* BTW, I going to Northern India January 27th for 7 weeks, I will be
getting alot of Tibetan spruce to bring back. *I hear it's the best
spruce in the world.
* MT

http://www.tibet.com/Eco/logging.html

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/campai...-deforestation