Old 26-12-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Ammonia high in pond

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:07:14 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

Small water changes will always help. *~ jan

Do that throughout the winter

It is highly recommended now days. I remember when I started ponding, water
changes 1/month, and only on nice days during the winter. Then it became
twice/month, then every week was the recommendation and now they're saying
if you can do a slow trickle thru 24/7 that is the optimum.

Currently that's what I've got going on.... a leak somewhere, and I'm
pretty sure it is at the small waterfall between ponds. I did some work on
it before covering the ponds, and it stopped for a few days... but
something must have moved again. So I'm adding water every 3rd day to make
up the lost. Thankfully DS set up the hose to self drain, I just have to
remember to set the timer in the house, since the faucet timers I use
during the season can't take the cold. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us