Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
silvasurfa

Default What tree to plant??

"Barbara" wrote in message
"Montana" wrote in message
om
I am wondering what tree is nice to plant in our front yard. Currently
we have a gum tree that is going to grow so big it will become a
nuisance. What's some recommendations of trees that don't grow too big
and are nice?
Cheers,
Kat

I love Lilly Pillies/euginias. There are so many different varieties for
different heights & situations. Can't go past them.

--
Barbara

Unless the place you want to put your tree overshadows a path... in which
case a Lilly Pilly will make a frightful mess. As will most of my other
favourites.

I like citrus. If you are not annoyed by the thought of people coming in to
steal fruit, lemons and oranges are good. If you want a fruit no-one will
bother to steal, cumquats and that other cumquat like fruit (forget the
name) are what you need.

Cotoneaster is old fashioned but I love it.

If a fruiting plant is out of the question, I'd consider certain
eucalypts/gums .... red flowering gum, and that lovelly eucalypt with the
pale bark, skinny trunks that often slant, long and large leaves, reddish
pink flowers and red 4 lobed flower covers.... they are called something
like Wallacaranga (sp?) White gums and I've always wanted a small stand of
them in my front yard. I don't know how large they can grow, but I've never
seen a huge one.