Old 27-12-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] NoOption5L@aol.com is offline

Default Is My Dogwood Doomed?

On Dec 26, 7:10 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I wonder if Patrick has ever seen dogwoods growing in their natural habitat,
where they really rock & roll.

Does being in/around the Atlanta [GA] area in the springtime count?

As for the dogwoods in my yard, yes, I realize dogwoods prefer to be
an understory tree. That said, the two I planted in my yard 5 years
ago [in near full sun], have grown from 5-foot tall to nearly 20 and
were full of flowers last spring and had TONS of red berries on them
this last fall -- the mockingbirds were loving them! So they are
hardly struggling to survive. I followed those two up with two more 2
years ago that are also in near full sun -- both have thrived -- nice
dark green foliage in the summer and lots of new branches. This past
year I planted two more. The first one is doing okay but the second
is the one that has the sunscald. Perhaps it's a soil issue. They're
planted in the front yard, whereas the other 4 are in my backyard.

What's the consensus? Chop it down and start over, or wait and see if
it survives?

Patrick

Patrick