Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Sue

Default Gardening in the Pilbara - help.

Hi guys,

I need some help/advice. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to soil
composition and all of that technical stuff but I do love to garden and have
just left a really wonderful one in Perth to start again in the Pilbara.
The soil here is what they call Pindan it is like a very red heavy clay when
wet and concrete when dry. Our water is full of calcium and leaves
everywhere white (you may need to know this). I would like to give my
plants the best possible opportunity to grow but there is limited access to
manure etc due to our remote location, I can only really buy bags of manure
in the local supermarket!! Would say cow manure be better than chook or
Dynamic Lifter? I intent to plant a heap of palms since they appear to be
the plant of choice up here.

A few more things that might help.

Rainfall - under 300mm per year.
Temp Ave. Summer 35 + Winter 25 - Summer is about 8 months or
more long!!
Access only to what the Kmart sells.
Possible access to some mulch from the tip.
At the moment the garden is in a new home with absolutely no
existing shade.

Positive type advice appreciated, as I am really trying to make the most of
what I have here and I know its going to be hard going!!

Happy New year all.

Sue
Karratha Western Australia.