Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Andrew G

Default Walking into spider webs

"ruth" wrote in message

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has the problem of spider webs
everywhere. These are quite big spiders, like huntsmen, and i always
thought that they were harmless. (i was amazed the other day watching
one, which was probably down on its luck after i'd removed it's web,
being attacked by a penny lizard, half its size).

We're always walking into their semi-transparent webs, a horrible
feeling, and they come back religiously. On the way home last night i
went the long way and walked through one between the neighbours
(presently vacant) fence and the tree.

Does anyone know how to control them? I don't want to drive them inside
on any account!

--
::::~~~~rOOth~~~~::::

LOL. Sorry, but you just reminded me of last night, when we were at a
friends house and saw some people across the road walking with their kids,
when suddenly one burst into what I call, the "dance of fear".
This usually starts with running your hands through your hair quite
vigorously, at the same time doing a full 180degree turn. Then walking
backwards while picking web off your face and hair. Finally the dance ends
with asking your partner/friend to check your back for a spider.
I can laugh, I do it too, and hate spiders.

As len has mentioned, they are orb weavers, and I to go a little further in
naming, Garden Orb Weavers. They can bite, and when they do it's quite
painful, and repeated biting if you don't get the spider off quick. They
aren't poisonous, and I don't think they can give nausea or vomiting, like
a huntsman can.
I had an ex boss who tried to show me they are harmless by letting one bite
the back of his hand. It was like it had a biting frenzy. Funny though, he
cringed and flinched at the biting, and quickly brushed it off.

There webs are quite sticky, and large and as you say they keep coming back.
During the day you can find them neatly tucked away in or under a leaf or
under the eaves of a roof. Found at one of the attaching points of the web.

You could try relocating them to a different area where their web won't
affect anyone. Try getting them on a broom or stick, then move them.

As much as I hate spiders, they are beneficial. I have relcoated a few.
Sadly though I have seen many bees caught in their webs. I keep them away
from areas of the garden that attracts a lot of bees.

They will not make their way inside, unless they get on you or your washing,
they are outdoors only. So one inside will probably die, or try make a web.

If you want to get an awesome photo, take one of their web closeup, early
morning with the dew on it, or after a light mist of rain (or water from
hose). Getting the spider in the picture too is even better.

Good luck.