Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Glenn Pure

Default Gardening in the Pilbara - help.

"Sue" wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice, I have had a few ideas now one of which I don't
know why I didn't think of before. I shall have to take a sack or two when
I go down to Miaree Pool, I noticed some cattle on the station the other day
and I can surely get some cow dung from there!! I have found out that

snip...

Hi Sue

Have you thought about looking at what grows naturally in the local
area? I'm sure there are many magnificent local plants including trees
for shade. We were over your way in Sept/Oct 2002 so I know a little
about the area.

I remember seeing a lot of Sturt's desert peas growing. They would
make a fabulous garden display. There are many other desert plants
that should handle the heavy soil. Also, use of native grasses
including spinifex can make a spectacular feature. Sure there will be
room for beds with improved soil and fussier plants but it would be
very rewarding to create a beautiful landscaped native garden. A good
starting point would be some books on plants of the Pilbara. CALM may
have something.

RE shade, I imagine a key consideration is cyclone resistance. You
want a tree that will withstand the winds. Best to get local advice on
that one. Maybe palms are best. I just don't know.

Best of luck.

Glenn