Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Dwayne

Default OT - Replacing a Shower Head

I am a chemical salesman. I used to work for a company that had an acid
based toilet bowl cleaner. The acid was safe enough that you could put you
hand into it (for a short time) and it wouldn't hurt you, but when you put
it in the toilet bowl or on a tub it would eat the lime and soap scum right
off. You doid have to be sure you washed it all off when you were done,
because within an hour or so, it would damage the chrome on the tub
hardware. I don't know what kind of acid it was, but if you can find one
that will eat lime and yet not be deadly to your skin, you've got it.

Good luck. Dwayne Ford312CrownVictoria

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Willow" wrote in message
Hi

What's the best way to clean rust & hard water grime off a pipe thread

in
the shower? I need to replace the shower head, but the replacement bits
won't fit, despite the thread being the same size.

Any ideas? I'm onto my second application of CLR, don't know what to try
after that.

SNIP

It definitely is a buildup causing the trouble? Usually as the thread

would
be covered by the old bits it would protect it, and taking off the old

bits
would at the same time remove any buildup. Can you see the buildup? Even

try
putting the old bits back on if you have them, only lightly by hand to

test
it. While the thread may be the same size, the thread may not be the same
type. Sometimes they have coarse or fine thread, meaning the gaps in the
thread are further apart or closer together.
If all is good, and it is the buildup, you could try vinegar. I have heard
that can help. Even with the CLR, hook up something so it is sitting in

the
CLR for a while.
All the best with it.