Old 29-12-2007, 01:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
V_coerulea V_coerulea is offline

Default Inexpensive cameras

I have a lot of catching up to do here. I've been doing a serious inventory
after a massive repotting spree. Considering I can only work in the GH about
4 hrs a day (5 on a good one), it's taken a lot of time and I'm not done
yet.I've switched over to potting in styrofoam (with a little sphagnum) and
topped withbark to hold the stuff down. This is so I can water with a spray
system indescriminately. Everything gets the same water (vandas get an extra
cycle). Catts in 8"pots are going crazy and I'm thrilled. Dendrobiums are
slower to respond but are doing very well.
Anyway, the point here is cameras. I wanted a serious point-and-shoot, one
that could be a point-and-shoot but had the options of an SLR without having
to be one. I found it in a Canon Powershot G9. It has phenomenal digital
power zoom and just about all you could ask for in a not-SLR. Price is about
$450 and uses Secure digital memory disks. I got a SmartDisk Photobank which
is a portable harddrive that runs on batteries. So when out taking pictures
(and some of the pics can be big like 4000x3000pixels so you can magnify
without loss of clarity) and my mem card fills up, I just pop it out and
insert it into the Photobank to download and then put it back into the
camera. The Photobank holds 80GB which is a whole heck of a lot of pictures.
I also holds sound for your records as well as your mp3s. Anyway, google
powershot g9 and you'll be inpressed with the specs. I'll show you some
soon. I promise. Really.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
All:

We have a nice Panasonic digital and are very happy with it. What I'd like
to find is something very small and easily transportable (in a pocket,
fanny pack, etc.), and not complicated.

The Panasonic is terrific for many things, but it's a pain to carry and
for candids. Any suggestions? I'll take them and then go to the comp site.

Diana