Old 29-12-2007, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Greenhouse Heaters using Central Heating Oil

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:09:22 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

Does anyone know of a greenhouse heater that works off Central Heating
Oil?. I have a tank full of CH Oil and it is a pain in the backside to
keep filling my heater with parrafin.

CH oil is essentially diesel.

Incorrect unless the heating boiler is a *very* old one. Pressure jet
boilers run on 28sec oil, otherwise known as kerosene or paraffin. The OP
can look at his last oil invoice to see what was delivered.

Diesel is 35sec oil also known as gas oil.

So 28 sec heating oil is essentially the same as paraffin. It might be
less refined and not have added parfum to make it smell nice but a heater
designed for paraffin will work fine on heating oil.

A diesel car would run nicely on it, but HM customs won't like you, and
anyway, it wasn't me who told you that. No, no, not me.

I'd rather but straight vegetable oil (SVO) into a diesel vehicle than
heating oil. Heating oil is more volatile than diesel it'll go BANG rather
too quickly. More to the point you can use up to 2,500l of SVO a year in
vehicle without HMR&C getting upset. How the internal parts of the vehicle
react to SVO is another matter...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail