Old 30-12-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default New Beech Hedge

On 30 Dec, 11:21, Martin wrote:
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

Probably now.

or any time up to the middle of Feb, I suppose. Get plenty of old
humous dug in if you can while the land is clean, and don't plant too
close to the boundary

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

It has to be well drained too.

Interesting. That may be why it does not do well in this part of the
Fens (clay lands)

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

I would go and find a local nurseryman (not a garden centre, but a
plantsman) who has a lot of stock in. You can't do better than local
advice and a local contact.