Old 30-12-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Dandelion

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
James wrote:

Saw some nice ones at the local supermarket @ $3 a one pound bunch.
Guess I'll continue to pick the wild ones when available.

Anyone here grow it? Are gardan varieties better than wild? I've had
a few grow in my beds that were almost as big as the one in the store.

Might be interesting to actually cultivate them so they may be more
tender, and perhaps less bitter? I've tried eating them once and did not
care much for them.

I'm actually seriously considering cultivating milk thistle.

I usually pick dandelions as I make my tour of the garden for salad
greens. Adding them to a salad dilutes any disagreeable bitterness they
may have.

To reduce bitterness, pick only the small leaves (the size of your
thumb, 3" or less). Sensitivity to bitterness varies from person to
person. I don't mind large leaves.

See http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+officinale for
health profile of dandelions, and domestic cultivars.

My better half sends her recommendation for "Day of the Dandelion" for
those who like mystery novels.

Halthy, tastey, and entertaining; what more can a common weed do?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatwedo...u-need-to-know