Old 30-12-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Dandelion

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
James wrote:

Saw some nice ones at the local supermarket @ $3 a one pound bunch.
Guess I'll continue to pick the wild ones when available.

Anyone here grow it? Are gardan varieties better than wild? I've
had
a few grow in my beds that were almost as big as the one in the
store.

Might be interesting to actually cultivate them so they may be more
tender, and perhaps less bitter? I've tried eating them once and did
not
care much for them.

I'm actually seriously considering cultivating milk thistle.

I usually pick dandelions as I make my tour of the garden for salad
greens. Adding them to a salad dilutes any disagreeable bitterness they
may have.

To reduce bitterness, pick only the small leaves (the size of your
thumb, 3" or less). Sensitivity to bitterness varies from person to
person. I don't mind large leaves.

See http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+officinale for
health profile of dandelions, and domestic cultivars.

Cool, thanks!
I can pick wild greens from _my_ yard as I so rarely use any pesticides.

My better half sends her recommendation for "Day of the Dandelion" for
those who like mystery novels.

And pass on to her "Dandilion Wine". :-)

Halthy, tastey, and entertaining; what more can a common weed do?

Indeed...

Do look up Milk Thistle tho' and you will see why I am interested in it
as a salad green also. The young flower heads are edible too, as are the
seeds.

Om, you already identified my Border Collie (McNabb) Beau from trampling
plants in his trajectory. One of those plants was (is?) a "milk
thistle". I'm hoping it will come back in the spring. Anyone who swills
as much as I do, should be interested in "milk thistle":-)
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....lybum+marianum

lol Only because I HAVE a border collie so I totally understand! :-)

Yes, I enjoy imbibing too. Milk thistle extract capsules are part of my
daily supplements...
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein