Old 30-12-2007, 04:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Inexpensive cameras

Thanks for all the info Ray! You're a pal for taking the time to type all
that up! Believe it or not I understood it, *G* (there's a first time for
everything!)

As to the Canon's battery life I expected that she hadn't yet replaced them.
(So does she use coppertops or energizer bunnies? *G*) I kind of like that
one can just go to any store and buy AA batteries when needed. Rather
liberating.

"Ray B" wrote in message
What did I do there????

That fist paragraph was supposed to end with:

Go to a camera shop and handle a few, considering sturdiness/stability,
weight, and simplicity of operation. If you're going to use it with a
point-and-shoot camera, you need not get the weight-holding capacity
necessary for an SLR with big lens and flash.

"Ray B" wrote in message
With the exception of really small or thin cameras, I have never seen a
camera without the female threaded tripod connector - including the
single-use ones from the convenience store. There are so many brands out
there, it's hard to make a recommendation. I have a Bogen, which is
sort-of the Mercedes of tripods, but mine is quite old, from a period
when they tried to capture the serious amateur. I don't think you can
touch one for under $300 now. Go to a camera shot and

Exposure Value Compensation allows you to "tell" the camera to over-, or
underexpose the shot, depending on the subject and background, and the
lighting conditions. Point-and-shoot cameras are set to give proper
exposure at the midpoint between black and white reflectances (AKA an 18%
gray). Typically, the camera's light metering tries for an average of
the whole frame. If you're trying to shoot a flower in a large display,
the "target" blossom may get lost in that average. Maybe an easier
example is shooting someone with snow-covered mountains in the
background. The snow reflects light so well that the camera will shorten
the exposure, and the face will be too dark. The EV compensation allows
you to "play" with it, to get it right.

When shooting flowers, I try to avoid using the flash, preferring natural
light. However, when forced to use artificial lighting, I typically put
a diffuser in front of the flash to "soften" it. Waxed paper and
translucent plastic (I have been known to hold one of my S/H pots in
front of it) are my diffusers of choice.

I use the ISO adjustment to compensate for the light level, as that
affects the shutter speed, hence degree of shake in hand-held shots. The
higher the ISO setting, the more pixelated the image will be - like being
more grainy with higher-speed film - but with the number of pixels in a
camera these days, unless you're blowing it up to poster size, you'll
never see it. My old Canon D30 is a 3 megapixel camera, and I have had
photos blown up to 24" x 30" and they look great.

The picture/scene settings are simply presets to adjust EV, aperture,
shutter speed, and in the case of my camera, whether it's a single shot
or burst mode of multiple shots. The auto mode allows the camera's
"brain" to do a super, all-over average, based upon what it sees.
Generally speaking, they all work pretty well, but sometimes if my
"artistic eye" takes over, I find myself going to aperture mode, opening
it up or stopping it down to control the depth of field, then I use the
ISO and EV settings to control the exposure.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Stupid questions for the group:

Can any tripod mount to any camera? Is there a standard? Have you a
tripod recommendation?

What is EV compensation? Do you ever use it? If that's too difficult a
question just say so and I'll google it

Do you ever alter the brightness of the flash?

Do you ever set the ISO sensitivity?

Do you use the picture/scene settings or do you just set it on Auto and
forget it?

The most I ever do is set the focal length to Macro and decide whether
or not to use the flash. The bulk of my shots are macro and auto
focus. I do not set anything else. I don't use Flash +/-, EV+/-, scene
selections, etc. I shoot everything sized for the web (400 x 600?) I
rarely shoot a picture at full resolution.

I have a Nikon coolpix 7900 at my disposal which is really rather nice,
but it has so many options, icons for which all show on the LCD. They
make me pause to interpret them whilst I'm setting up a shot. So I
figured I'd ask to see if anyone really uses these options, so I'd know
if I had to commit the instruction manual to heart....

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
All:

We have a nice Panasonic digital and are very happy with it. What I'd
like to find is something very small and easily transportable (in a
pocket, fanny pack, etc.), and not complicated.

The Panasonic is terrific for many things, but it's a pain to carry and
for candids. Any suggestions? I'll take them and then go to the comp
site.

Diana