Old 30-12-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond plans for New Year

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:48:46 CST, Chip wrote:

Most of you that replied are changing and adding plumbing. For the
novice that is now planning to get into the pond construction. What is
the WORST decision you made when you built your pond(s)? The BEST?

Chip

If I knew then what I know now my koi pond would have been one big pond
with bottom drain(s). Even though it is pretty as is, I would like to have
more gallons for my fish. I've had to sell a lot of fish due to them
growing. The current koi pond now has a vacuum bottom drain & skimmer added
after the fact.

I also think I would have saved/spent more money and put in vortex filters.
My DIY filter is fine, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, but it would
be so nice to just pull a gate valve to drain and hose down, rather than
what I currently do. There is a big difference agility-wise between the
ages of 41 and 53 so I've found out. At least I won't be doing the demon
pond next summer so that will save my back for my own yard work.

The lily pond was done after I was a little smarter, why it was put in with
a bottom drain and skimmer thru the liner. Even if it took 6 years to
finally get the filter connected. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us