Old 30-12-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default An Excellent Sunscald Article

Tree Wrap 2

TREE WRAP

Tree wrap, like wound dressings and flush cuts will take some time to go
away. Young trees have a cortex under their epidermis. The cortex is a
soft tissue with living cells that have chlorophyll. Young trees require
all the energy they can get. Covering the cortex of a young tree reduces a
source of the energy for the tree. Many people believe the wraps prevent
sun or frost injury. Results of our studies showed no difference between
wrapped and unwrapped trees. Trees may require wire mesh or other strong
materials to prevent rodent injury. This is fine. Tree wrap does hide
wounds, flush cuts, cankers, and other defects. We know of no experiments
with controls to show that tree wrap prevents sun and cold injury. I do
know that wounds, flush cuts, dead spots from included bark, injured roots,
and planting too deep will start trunk cracks and death of bark.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

wrote in message