Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default New Beech Hedge

On 31/12/07 23:43, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:13:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/12/07 18:05, in article
, "Mark"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

Thanks for the replies. I need a 100plnts to do about 75 feet. I'll
investigate the suggested websites now.

mark

I don't understand why you need 100 plants? We sell beech bare-rooted and
recommend 3' between each plant. That's 25 plants. You're talking about
planting them mere inches apart, which seems a bit strange.
Dig a trench, pop them in and keep them well watered if we have any dry
spells.

This site gives 20 cm between each plant
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...gclid=CP_y_v7X
05ACFQ6hQwodrnQKXA

I think this must be with some 'instant hedge' idea in mind. It really
isn't necessary. Given time and the proper care, plants planted as I
describe will form as dense a hedge. But if the OP wants to spend the money
that's his choice, of course.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk