Old 31-12-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default Pond plans for New Year

"Gareee©" wrote in message
news I'll try the farmer's supply store, and see if
I can find something with a cover, but i also think I want something I can
put a drain in teh bottom of, with a line so I can just hose it off from
opening the lid, rather then taking the mess apart to clean it every week
or so.

This is what I'm seriously considering. I'm sick to death of cleaning the
Tetra barrel type filters 5 or 6 times a month. It's a nasty smelly job. I
may just turn the settling tank into a filter since is has a drain and can
be hosed out. Only problem is the filter pads would still need to be hosed
off. I would also need a second settling-tank-turned-filter for the smaller
800g pond. Also, every spring now we have to drain the ponds to remove all
the fry and sludge from the bottom. It takes an entire weekend. And now the
area is so flooded with pond quality koi you can't even give them away.

Since the water visibility has been so bad the last year or so, the pond
is becomming more work then it's worth.

That's how we're starting to feel and now we have the GBH problem. In our
early 60s, it's getting to be a lot of unwelcome work. A chore instead of a
pleasure.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.