Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default old giant leylandiis

In article ,
writes:
| On 1 Jan, 05:29, redg wrote:
|
| So you all reckon I should get it done, but no comments about the
| undergound structural damage where the roots have reached. That's my
|
| That's why you need the professionals.

Precisely.

| In general all the Leylandii I have taken down have had a root ball no
| wider than the crown, but I live on heavy clay. The nature of root
| growth is a complicated thing, depending on underground conditions.

But I think that the OP is misunderstanding. They will not remove
the roots, because that is unnecessary and likely to cause damage.
Leylandii will not regrow from the stump or roots, and they will
rot over a period of years - which is not a problem.

The main potential problem is heave and shrinkage, causes by the
amount of water that will no longer be extracted and the decay of
the root system. But, as people have said, that is primarily an
issue for clay - also, if their growth hasn't caused problems, their
removal probably won't.

However, real, local professionals will be able to judge FAR better
than us at our keyboards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.