Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default old giant leylandiis

In article ,
Dave Hill writes:

| I have never known Leylandii regrow from the trunk, only from
| remaining green growth.

Yes. They are conifers, and they won't regrow from old wood.

| And if you get 5 to 10 years of use as a support then that's not bad
| as most posts used for the job would only last that long, and by then
| you have no problems with having to dig out the stumps.

Not my point. If they are genuinely massive, you have a 2 metre
tall pillar weighing perhaps 100 Kg. If that comes down on someone,
it could do serious damage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.