Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Can anyone identify this blue flower?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:03:24 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 1/1/2008 5:57 AM, Celeste Evans wrote:
In article
,
GigglesMom wrote:

http://gotmama.com/flower.html

blue plumbago
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c.../plumbago.html
Cea

Try cape plumbago (P. auriculata, sometimes called P. capensis). This
may be evergreen or deciduous, depending on how much frost you get in
the winter. It's hardy to about 15F. At that temperature, it will show
some damage but will recover quickly in the spring.

It's actually a shrub, not a perennial. However, if tied to a support,
it can grow like a vine.

It will do best with at least some sun but will tolerate partial shad.
It will take regular watering but is somewhat drought tolerant.

There are several varieties, each with a slightly different shade of
blue, from almost white to sky blue. Sunset recommends buying plants in
bloom so that you can see what color you're getting.

The pictures I find of plumbago have five petals, the flowers in the
OP's shot had four. Is there some variation, or am I missing
something?