Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] busbus@gmail.com is offline

Default Do you think this would work as a container garden?

On Jan 1, 4:08*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

Just be careful you are not putting too much weight on your deck,
especially all in one spot. *Using the Rubbermaid container, 8 gallons
of water weighs 64 pounds; add the dry weight of the container and soil.
*One such planter is likely to be okay.

Also, if the deck is wood, be sure that the container is raised so that
air circulates underneath. *Otherwise, you risk rot.

David,

My deck is pretty low to the ground but not much. I have to go up
three steps to get on it. And it is more-or-less overbuilt, so I am
not worried about putting too much weight on it.

The deck is wooden but I am also thinking about putting this container
on wheels, thus elevating it a little above the deck. I will
reinforce the bottom of the frame with angle iron if it seems like it
is a little shaky.

Bill--I do not necessarily understand your answer. I know you are
trying to say that I need to experiment and learn from my mistakes but
if this is a really stupid idea, I would be foolish to not listen to
people who know more than I do! So if you see a problem of some sort,
please let me know!

Thanks,
ray