Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tad Tad is offline

Default Soil PH

John,

I see that Billy already responded to your email. Here's a good
starting point for reading more about what I'm talking about.

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_us/approach.html

Check out the section on compost tea. You're adding beneficial
aerobic microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, flagellates,
cilliates, and nematodes. These increase nutrient cycling, as most of
the nutrients the plant needs are already in the soil, just not in an
available form.

When I say that nature will correct imbalances, I did not mean that
everything stops and dies in nature. I think that is a ridiculous
interpretation of what I was saying. What I mean is that in nature
when a disease or other imbalance (in this case we're talking pH)
occurs, nature (biology) will in time correct these problems in most
instances. You don't see people spraying herbicides and pesticides in
old growth forests do you? Or applying fertilizer? These ecosystems
were created self-sustaining by nature, without our chemical inputs.
This is what I'm talking about when I suggest using biology.

~Tad

PS: Please take the time to look at the link I provided. If you still
have questions, feel free to respond.