Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Dandelion

In article
,
RosL wrote:

On Dec 30 2007, 10:34*am, Omelet omp wrote:
In article
,

*James wrote:
Saw some nice ones at the local supermarket @ $3 a one pound bunch.
Guess I'll continue to pick the wild ones when available.

Anyone here grow it? *Are gardan varieties better than wild? *I've had
a few grow in my beds that were almost as big as the one in the store.

Might be interesting to actually cultivate them so they may be more
tender, and perhaps less bitter? I've tried eating them once and did not
care much for them.

I'm actually seriously considering cultivating milk thistle.

You should blanch them before eating. Just cover with an upturned
plantpot for a couple of days then they are much less bitter.
Unblanched, they can be cooked like cabbage, blanched eat raw in
salad.

The root can be used in much the same way as carrot and eaten raw or
cooked.

They were the staple food in the UK apparently before the introduction
of the potato.

Ros

Cool, thanks for the hint. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein