Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Barbara

Default figs and birds

"John Savage" wrote in message
om
Here's a tip from the 2GB gardening program for gardeners with a fig
tree.

A couple of times I've heard Graham Ross (he of the Ground Force
garden makeover show on tv) say that he has not lost any figs to
birds since he started hanging rubber snakes in the tree. Had this
claim come from almost anyone else I would be very sceptical.

I imagine you'd need quite a few snakes, and if it was me I'd move
some around under cover of darkness so the birds didn't have cause to
think the snakes might be dead.

But I have one question for Mr Ross if he reads this newsgroup: don't
you have problems with the kookaburras hunting your snakes?

To counter the predations of kookaburras I reckon you'd need to tie
the snakes on tightly with fishing line, or cable ties, or something.

I had a problem with Scrub Turkeys digging out all my plants. I placed
rubber snakes around the garden bed, moved them occasionally, plus left a
short hose coiled through the garden. No more turkey problem!