Old 29-12-2007, 10:43 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kathrin-Jennifer Kathrin-Jennifer is offline

Default how strong is the influence of light to a tree?

Hi,

I'm a student of computer science and I'm writing my diploma thesis about
growthsimulation of trees. The focus is on simulating the growth according
to botanical correctness.
I don't have much knowledge about botany and haven't found the answer to my
problem:

My question is how strong is the influence of light to a tree respectively
to the single branches? If a branch is fully illuminated, does it care where
the sun comes from? Or does it grow in that direction, that the tree "tells"
him to?
The other case: if a branch receives few light from one direction, does it
grow directly to the light to keep itself alive?

I hope you understand the problem, its hard for me to explain in english

thanks in advance!

Kathrin-Jennifer