Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default No fig tree for me

On 1/3/2008 3:34 AM, John Bachman wrote:
After several mild winters in a row (Southern NH, zone 5) and the
prospect of global warming modifying my microclimate which is well
protected from the cold north winds I had thoughts of planting a fig
tree in my orchard.

It is now 2 F with prospects of negative numbers tomorrow night. If I
had one it would be croaked.

Sigh.

I actually had a volunteer fig come up in my backyard. After caring for
it, pruning it, feeding it, etc, it never bore fruit. I had it removed
and then fought root suckers for about two years.

My neighbor across the street planted a fig. He invited me to enter his
yard and pick the ripe fruit whenever I want, without even ringing his
doorbell. There is nothing like a fresh fig.

Why don't you plant something that I can't grow, something totally
unsuited to my climate: lilacs, most tulips, pears, maples, peonies?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean