Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default old giant leylandiis

On Dec 31 2007, 7:12*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Dave Hill writes:

| Why not have them cut down to 6 or 7ft stumps and then use these for
| growing something like climbing roses, clematis etc over.

If you kill them, in 5-10 years their roots will rot and they will
fall over. *If you don't, they will regrow and be as much trouble
in 5-10 years.

I got mine taken down by tree surgeons, and one of them kept for the
very purpose suggested by Dave. That was about 3 years ago - not a
sign of growth since... Not even from the bright red clematis and
danse du feu climbing rose I have on it... (well, some, but
disappointing, so I say to myself, patience, patience)...

Cat(h)