Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default charges for gardeners, again, it keeps coming around :-)

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "pied piper" contains these
words:

If its that simple do it yourself if u want a proper job done
then pay a professional. Im sure u wouldnt object paying that
amount for a roofer,brickie,chippie,plumber etc etc a gardener
is just as skilled and has the same overheads .
What would be left after tax ni transport fuel etc etc .
Its ok for the odd jobbers who top up their pensions and just
doddle about but for the self employed who need to make a living
out of it u need to charge the going rate.
I wouldnt take anything on that was less than 5k per year.
And I find people like u quite insulting to the trade.

There's no need to be nasty to Kate, she is quite right to
question the fact that someone is charging £25 an hour!

I own a roofing company, and I pay my roofers £15 an hour,
and I have no trouble whatsoever getting good workmen for
that rate!

So u pay them £15 an hour but what do u charge an hour including cost of
materials etc. Plus the overheads of running your business?
Plus gardening requires more skill and knowledge than roofing.