Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default Oleander disease in Southern California?

Thank you. It suppose this is the end of Oleanders in California. Really too
bad.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Charles" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:54:47 -0800, "Walter R."
wrote:

I live in San Diego North County. My neighbor is going to cut down his 25
year old Nerium Oleander Hedge (Sister Agnes). He said there is a scorched
leaf disease that kills all Oleander shrubs. He is doing this on the
advice
of his landscaper - who is biased, of course, because it means several
thousand dollars worth of business for him.

I was just going to plant another 15 Oleanders as a hedge.

Without sensation mongering by the media, just how much of a real threat
is
this disease? All nurseries are selling Oleanders like crazy. There are
many
thousand of miles of Oleanders on the median strips of Southern California
Freeways.

Would be nice to get an HONEST status report on what is going on.

Plant or not to plant, that is the question.

Thank you

Walter

P.S. If it is a really bad idea to plant oleanders, what could be
recommend
as
a replacement: Blooms all summer, drought resistant, minimum ten feet
tall,
nice looking, fast growing.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Your county extent ion agent can give you the information you want.
Caltrans has tons of the stuff and the state has done as much
investigation as can be done.

We also have a resource, UC Davis, that is quite good at releasing
information.

Check he http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7480.html