Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default charges for gardeners, again, it keeps coming around :-)

Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from (A.Lee) contains these words:

Legitimate, decent traders could not afford to do it much cheaper.

The gardeners I know, who charge £8 per man-hour, arrange their
work (obviously more efficiently than _you_ do!) so that they
are working in the same area one day, then another area the next...

Anyone who charges £8/hr self employed cannot be making even the minimum
wage.

What do they do with their waste?
It is now an offence to employ someone without a waste transfer licence,
and I doubt anyone charging £8/hr will have a Licence.
No licence, then YOU are liable for their waste carrying. No, I'm not
joking. If they are stopped by the Police/Council, and tell where they
have been working, you can be prosecuted.

When looked into deeper, I'll guess that they are not declaring all
their takings, or meeting statutory regulations, which is the difference
between charging £8 and £20/hr.

I've set out some of the costs of a business in my previous post, and it
is clear that a living cannot be made on less than ~£20/hr.

And saying I'm inefficient is just insulting.
Alan.