Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Peter B Peter B is offline

Default how strong is the influence of light to a tree?

I do not know the answe, but have just searched Google on Photosynthesis
Tree Growth and got nearly 1M hits. You migth find something there.

Good luck

Peter

"Kathrin-Jennifer" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm a student of computer science and I'm writing my diploma thesis about
growthsimulation of trees. The focus is on simulating the growth according
to botanical correctness.
I don't have much knowledge about botany and haven't found the answer to
my problem:

My question is how strong is the influence of light to a tree respectively
to the single branches? If a branch is fully illuminated, does it care
where the sun comes from? Or does it grow in that direction, that the tree
"tells" him to?
The other case: if a branch receives few light from one direction, does it
grow directly to the light to keep itself alive?

I hope you understand the problem, its hard for me to explain in english

thanks in advance!

Kathrin-Jennifer