Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Ice on the pond

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:00:38 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

You DO know you should have air bubblers in the ponds to keep the tops from
being sealed by ice, don't you?

Thanks! I've never considered freezing over a serious problem here.
I did drill a couple holes to see how thick the ice is, and dropped
the water level enough to pull the water away from the hole near the
center where the air bubble formed first. Mostly in fun, because the
10 day weather forecast shows lows above freezing and highs reaching
the 70's after Saturday. (It is about one inch thick.) Surprised me.
It seems the hot tub being elevated above ground by a skirt is quite
different from the other pond with so much ground contact. It has
been fun playing with the ice.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb