Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Soil PH

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

What is an element? Chemically, an element is a pure substance
composed
of
atoms that all have the same number of protons in the nucleus. That
number
is the "atomic number" and specifies the element's position in the
periodic
table. The atomic nucleus also contains neutrons. For each element,
the
sum of the numbers of protons and neutrons is the approximate atomic
weight.
Depending on the definition, 17 out of the 94 naturally occurring
elements
are generally considered essential for the growth of plants.

Cool. And how much CO2 and H2O does it take to make an ounce of
glucose?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.antiwar.com/eland/index.php?articleid=8282
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

I do not have the answer. You seem to know much more than me about
chemistry.

could you define two things for me please?

nutrient -

nutrient
noun
a substance that provides nourishment essential for growth and the
maintenance of life : fish is a source of many important nutrients,
including protein, vitamins, and minerals.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin nutrient- "nourishing", from the
verb nutrire.

kind of confusing for someone like me trying to learn

element n.
1. A fundamental, essential, or irreducible constituent of a composite
entity.
2. elements. The basic assumptions or principles of a subject.
3. Mathematics. a. A member of a set. b. A point, line, or plane. c. A
part of a geometric configuration, such as an angle in a triangle. d.
The generatrix of a geometric figure. e. Any of the terms in the
rectangular array of terms that constitute a matrix or determinant.
4. Chemistry & Physics. A substance composed of atoms having an
identical number of protons in each nucleus. Elements cannot be reduced
to simpler substances by normal chemical means.
5. One of four substances, earth, air, fire, or water, formerly regarded
as a fundamental constituent of the universe.
6. Electricity. The resistance wire in an electrical appliance such as a
heater or an oven.
7. elements. The forces that constitute the weather, especially severe
or inclement weather: outside paint that had been damaged by the
elements.
8. An environment naturally suited to or associated with an individual:
He is in his element when traveling. The business world is her element.
9. A distinct group within a larger community: the dissident element on
campus.
10. elements. The bread and wine of the Eucharist. [Middle English, from
Old French, from Latin elementum.]

I was talking about the definition of element pertaining to the table of
elements. You knew that. You are adding much confusion where there not
need be.

SYNONYMS: element, component, constituent, factor, ingredient. The
central meaning shared by these nouns is one of the individual parts of
which a composite entity is made up: the grammatical elements of a
sentence; jealousy, a component of his character; melody and harmony,
two of the constituents of a musical composition; ambition as a key
factor in her success; humor, an effective ingredient of a speech.

Thats a little confusing.

Anyway - grow hemp like Ben Franklin did. We really need to get it together
to leave more cellulose, quarks, in the once fertile forest of the USA..
I.e., for the health of the soil and its associates.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Thanks

--
Bush Behind Bars

Sure, for not allowing people to farm hemp like our forefathers.

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/