Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Seed Catalogs - Spring is coming!

On 1/4/08 6:48 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 1/3/08 9:18 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
i'm going to reroof in the next year or two & it's going
to be a metal roof. a hipped roof Federal doesn't have
much pitch.

You going to put better than R50 up there too? That was a
big deciding factor when we looked at roofing - metal is
wonderful, but can be a heat suck.

the metal roof will be insulated & it'll be built with an air
space between it & the existing roof to create a bit more
pitch and allow for vents & soffits, which we don't currently
have.
the sum total insulation in this house is about 8" of
vermiculite in the attic crawl. heat suck is nothing new.
lee

Sounds good. I'm still happy we opted for the R50 roof. We wanted more, but
the building inspector was unused to super insulated houses and other such
energy saving things (no solatubes like I wanted, no berm, no heat pump...
IDIOT).

The only thing I'd change is to replace the shingles with slate or metal
tiles (look like traditional roofing) and I want to add a heater to the back
of the house on the roof to melt snow and prevent ice dams. But so many
trees went down in back (into the woods) that there is more sun there....

Cheryl