Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default Raspberrries

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Chris J Potts contains
these words:

Hello all,

We have a new allotment, and it has a patch of very neglected raspberry
canes. I am used to a variety of rasp which fruits on last years wood
which then dies and is pruned out completely, but the the canes in the
new allotment are different. They are huge in comparison, 8 to 10 foot
high, and they have obviously fruited on the last years growth, but only
on the top foot or so, there is also lots of dead wood from earlier
years. Can you tell me from this description what variety they might
be, and should I prune the last years growth (on the assumption that
this is a variety which fruits on the current years growth)?

Thanks for any help,

Most raspberries will fruit on old growth, but you'll only get tiny fruit.

I'd slash the whole lot down and give the new growth a chance...

--
AnneJ

would u charge £15 per hour for that?