Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Ice on the pond

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:06:40 CST, ~ jan wrote:

This is what can happen in a stock tank w/bubbler:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/22.jpg

Ice freezes on top and around the sides, then the air going into tank lifts
the whole shebang. Including plant baskets. This actually lifted two more
inches before the air escaped. The amazing thing was, to my knowledge, all
the little fantails I had in this tank survived! ~ jan

That's wild! If I had known, I might have done that just for fun. I
had an air pump inside the pond during the summer, because the water
temperature rose so high during the day, but had just removed and
cleaned it last month and decided against it in winter. We had our
last below freezing temp for a week anyway last night, so winter is
over here, until the next cold snap.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb