Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 AM
the swede the swede is offline
Registered User

Default Greenhouse Heating

For the last few years my husband has heated his greenhouse with a 2kw natural gas heater. He brings on vegetable seeds in a heated propagator but needs the heating as we live in Scotland. Gas prices are expensive at about 12p per kw hour and we are expecting them to go up. Also for the last few years he has also bought plug plants in April which need the heat to bring them on (yes it's sometimes still cold here in April and May). As a way of helping towards the cost we used to sell some plants but people want them for virtually nothing and the cost outweighs any profit he makes. Tonight he has decided he is not going to do this anymore as he does prefer growing veg. However, he loves his hobby and I don't want him to get depressed about it. I bought him one of these jumbo propagators for Xmas and he also has two other propagators which are very cheap to run. He feels like packing it all in. Is there anything I can do to help him maintain his interest in growing veggies and still use his greenhouse. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Forgot to mention the greenhouse is insulated and is 8ft x 6ft.